Three regional hubs – one united voice.
The Coalition consists of three regional hubs centered in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Guided by our shared theory of change, each hub sets its own agenda and creates its own priorities.
This three-in-one hub approach represents a shift in the balance of power in global agendas and funding towards VACiS practitioners in the Global South. It enables the right resources to be prioritized and directed responsively to those on the ground that understand the issues and solutions best.
Key Objective: to bring the debate around the issue of VAC to the forefront and to harness the wealth of evidence available and steer agendas for further action in the Asia and Pacific region.
Samya Development Resources Private Limited (Samya)
Sunita Menon, Director, Samya
Ritu Gauba, Project Manager, Samya
The Asia Hub is being coordinated by Samya Development Resources Private Limited. The Hub plans to spearhead the coalition’s voices from the Global South through a group of Asian leaders and organisations who are mutually concerned with the debate on preventing VAC in schools. The Hub shall coordinate the efforts of the regional partners to collate their experiences, learning, and priorities around VAC in schools.
- Samya, India
- Breakthrough, India
- ICRW, India
- Awaz Foundation, Pakistan
- Child Rights Coalition Asia, Philippines
- Protsahan India Foundation, India
- Enfold Proactive Health Trust, India
- Yuwa, India
- Voice of Children, Nepal
- Kidpower, India
- Society for Equality, Respect & Trust for all (SERATA), Malaysia
- This Life, Cambodia
- Viva, India
- Azad India Foundation, India
KEY ACTIVITIES PLANNED
- Creation of knowledge products
- Engagement with policymakers, investors, and regional education sectors
- Regional scoping exercise in six countries (India, Pakistan, Nepal, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Philippines)
- Establish a learning circle on addressing VAC in schools and online spaces
- Communication campaign on online abuse and VAC in schools
Sub-Saharan Africa hub
Key Objective: to organize practitioners working to prevent VAC in schools in the region, and steer regional conversations on priorities of VAC prevention in schools. Our goal will be to build a regional movement for the prevention of VACiS within the overall structure of the Coalition for Good Schools.
Dr. John Kalage, Executive Director, HakiElimu
Elisante Kitulo, Media & Advocacy Manager, HakiElimu
The Sub-Saharan Africa hub is coordinated by HakiElimu. The hub’s core function will be to organize practitioners working to prevent VAC in schools in the region, and steer regional conversations on priorities of VAC prevention in schools. Our goal will be to build a regional movement for the prevention of VACiS within the overall structure of the Coalition for Good Schools. The Sub-Saharan Africa hub will further seek linkages and collaborate with the Asia and Latin America hubs to share learnings and increase advocacy.
- HakiElimu, Tanzania
- Raising Voices, Uganda
- PAL Network, Kenya
- FAWE, Kenya
- Children’s Institute, South Africa
- Centre for Justice & Crime Prevention, South Africa
KEY ACTIVITIES PLANNED
- Create an African ‘coalition of the willing’ that will drive the advocacy agenda on prevention of violence against children in the continent
- Strengthen the hub’s capacity to carry out its mandate
- Promote quality research and practices on prevention of violence against children in schools
- Enhance collaboration with the Asia and Latin America hub for increased impact
Latin America hub
Key Objective: to make a strategic contribution to the global discourse on the prevention of VAC at schools based on the experience and knowledge of a group of practitioners and experts from the region. This goal is expected to be achieved by: (1) building a shared vision about how to prioritize and address the prevention of VAC at schools, (2) producing and compiling dissemination materials (e.g., brochures, public declaration) and knowledge products (e.g., policy and practice briefs, reports) to inform stakeholders about prevention of VAC in Latin America.
Aulas en Paz, Colombia
Jose Fernando Mejia, Executive Director, Aulas en Paz
Lina Maria Saldarriaga, Director of Operations, Aulas en Paz
The Latin America Regional hub brings together a group of practitioners and experts from six countries across Latin America, who have developed or studied interventions to prevent violence against children in schools and who want to make a strategic contribution to this global discourse. We are coming together with a shared commitment to a different kind of debate – and a plan to bring leaders from the Global South to the same room and ask searching questions collectively with a singular objective: how can we prioritize prevention of VAC at schools in the global discourse?
- Vía Educación, México
- AtentaMente, Mexico
- Universidad Estatal a Distancia de Costa Rica, Costa Rica
- Enlazados, Costa Rica
- Red PaPaz, Colombia
- Disciplina con Amor, Colombia
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia
- Observatorio Violencia y Convivencia en la Escuela, Peru
- Crianza Positiva, Peru
- Innovación para el Desarrollo, Peru
- Universidad del Desarrollo, Chile
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Chile
- Universidad Católica de Valparaiso, Chile
- Chicos.net, Argentina
- Red Latinoamericana de Convivencia Escolar
KEY ACTIVITIES PLANNED
- Consolidation of regional hub through a core reference group, consulting group, and members networks and generate member database
- Knowledge generation through development of a regional technical note on VACiS
- Regional advocacy and promoting local innovations through communications campaigns and virtual and in-person meetings and events
- Support capacity development of hub members